ÜberGrinders are back baby!
We have some ready now, for immediate shipment.
I’ve even got a limited number of VFD’s, Motors, and 10″ and 12″ Drive Wheels.
There are a combination of new and old videos here of the machine.
I’ll try and keep the latest and greatest near the top, as I add to the ever expanding video catalog.
These are available in both an “Add your own Motor/VFD and Contact Wheel” configuration, and as a complete package.
I now have 10″ and 12″ Contact Wheels, from Contact Rubber Corporation on hand.
I have contracted with Leeson to make motors specifically for this grinder. They are designed from the ground up to be run with a Variable Frequency Drive, and stay cool, while running wide open, and also in low speed, high torque situations.
Base Price is $2200 plus shipping (shipping anticipated to be $150-$200, insured)
This will include:
- Complete frame. Rotates 90 degrees, locks in either position, 3 receivers for positioning the tool and workrest arms to suit your preference. All adjustments are made without tools.
- Crowned, urethane drive wheel. Keeps the belt from slipping even under low tension, high torque operation.
- Pneumatics for belt tension. High quality Mead/Bimba regulator and cylinder.
- Überrest (Articulating work rest with steel table, vernier scale for accurately adjusting in 1 degree increments. Again, no tools required.)
- Platen/Slack Belt Attachment. Improved this time around to work better as a slack belt attachment with the removal of the platen via 2 screws. Also, new shop made wheels make the belt lie flatter against the platen than before, with less ‘puckering’. You’ll really appreciate this when using fine, flexible belts. (Requires a wrench to switch between platen/slack belt operation)
- Small Wheel attachment. (Small Wheels not included)
- Arm and hardware for mounting a Contact Wheel.
- VFD bracket for mounting your VFD to the grinder itself, or to your bench.
- Contact Wheels, both 10″ and 12″ by 2″ wide. 70 duro, smooth.
We had Contact Rubber Corp. make us wheels this time around, so you don’t have to source your own. In my opinion, these are the best on the market, and are what I use myself. These are their C134 Quick Change wheels. They are expensive, up front, but you get what you pay for. And since they are quick change, if you damage them, or wear them out, you can replace just the tire for the neighborhood of $150 down the road. I just replaced my own original 10 year old wheel myself, as it had developed some nicks in it.
- 10″ wheel, $380
- 12″ wheel, $420
- Custom made, 2hp Leeson inverter duty motor, and KBAC-27D Variable Frequency Drive. This is the best drive on the market for our application. Dustproof/Waterproof, with actual knobs that you can turn.
The motor is designed from the ground up for grinder use, and to be run from the VFD.
Price is $1000 with all wiring included except the plug. Simply have your electrician make a few connections and put a plug on the end of the cord to match your receptacle.
- Gooseneck light. This light will mount right up to an arm on the grinder, or your bench, and give you task specific lighting, right where you need it. Don’t underestimate the value of good light, or expect the fluorescent light on you ceiling to be enough!
The light is $80, which is the normal retail price at McMaster or MSC. I’m just offering it here, to save you from having to source one yourself. It’s actually easier for me, if you order it from one of them!
No matter what you buy, some assembly is required on your end.
This minor assembly allows for much less expensive shipping, as we can ship FedEx, instead of freight shipping. We can probably offer a completely assembled option, but shipping will move from the $200 neighborhood, to the $800 neighborhood! Assembly and final wiring will be easy, and can be accomplished in minutes, not hours.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to buy one, and we’ll work out the details.
Pricing is as follows.
Grinder package, without Contact wheel, motor, or VFD. $2200
Add $1000 for the custom 2hp Leeson motor, KBAC-27D VFD, and cables.
Add $420 for a 12″ contact wheel
Add $380 for a 10″ contact wheel
$3500 will get you a complete setup, with the wheel of your choice. You’ll just need to wire in a plug, hook up air, and source your favorite small wheels.
Shipping is $175 via FedEx ground to the USA.
I’ll quote Alask, Hawaii, and International for you.
Below, are some videos showing the grinder, the assembly, and a few tips for setup.
I’ll keep updating these as things occur to me, and as more parts of the puzzle come in.
OLD assembly videos below.
You won’t have to jump through these hoops anymore, but I am leaving them up for historical purposes, and because it shows more detail of the actual parts of this machine.